In the diverse landscape of contemporary country music, one question that often piques the curiosity of fans and music enthusiasts alike is, “What genre is Eric Church?” The acclaimed American singer-songwriter has carved a unique niche for himself, blending traditional country roots with elements of rock, blues, and outlaw country.
Eric Church is a country music artist, but his music defies easy categorization. He blends elements of traditional country, southern rock, and outlaw country, creating a sound that is both unique and accessible. Church’s music is often described as edgy and raw, and he is not afraid to tackle difficult subjects in his songs.
Church’s early albums were heavily influenced by traditional country music, with songs such as “How ‘Bout You” and “Guys Like Me” featuring classic country instrumentation and themes. However, Church began to experiment with different genres on his subsequent albums.
His 2011 album Chief featured a more rock-oriented sound, with songs such as “Springsteen” and “Drink in My Hand” incorporating elements of southern rock and hard rock. Church’s 2014 album The Outsiders continued this trend, with songs such as “Talladega” and “Cold Beer Country” showcasing his eclectic range of influences.
What is Eric Church’s biggest hit?
Eric Church has had many chart-topping hits, but his biggest hit is arguably “Drink in My Hand,” which was released in 2011.
The song peaked at number one on the Billboard Country Airplay chart and was certified 5x platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). It was also nominated for Song of the Year at the 2011 Country Music Association Awards.
“Drink in My Hand” is a classic country song about enjoying life and living in the moment. The song’s catchy lyrics and upbeat tempo made it an instant hit with fans. It is also one of Church’s most personal songs, as it is about his own experiences growing up in North Carolina.
Here are some of the reasons why “Drink in My Hand” is considered Eric Church’s biggest hit:
- It was his first song to reach number one on the Billboard Country Airplay chart.
- It was certified 5x platinum by the RIAA.
- It was nominated for Song of the Year at the Country Music Association Awards.
- It is one of his most personal and relatable songs.
How did Eric Church get famous?
Eric Church’s rise to fame is a testament to his talent, dedication, and willingness to be different. Here’s a look at the key factors that contributed to his success:
- Honing his Craft: Church’s musical journey began in his hometown of Granite Falls, North Carolina, where he developed a passion for songwriting and playing the guitar. He honed his skills by performing in local bars and venues, gaining recognition for his raw talent and captivating stage presence.
- Moving to Nashville: In the early 2000s, Church made the bold decision to relocate to Nashville, Tennessee, the heart of country music. He faced initial challenges, including being dropped from a record deal, but he persevered, writing songs for other artists and continuing to perform.
- Embrace of Authenticity: Church refused to conform to the Nashville mold, embracing his own unique style and sound. His music blends traditional country elements with rock and blues influences, creating a distinctive identity that resonates with fans.
- Dedicated Fan Base: Church cultivated a loyal fan base by connecting with his audience on a personal level. He actively engaged with fans online and at shows, fostering a sense of community and belonging.
- Critical Acclaim: Church’s music received critical acclaim for its honesty, depth, and emotional resonance. He earned recognition from prominent publications and industry peers, solidifying his reputation as a respected artist.
- Commercial Success: Church’s albums consistently charted high, and his singles topped the country charts. He sold millions of records, earning him multiple platinum certifications.
- Energetic Live Performances: Church’s live shows were known for their high energy and electrifying atmosphere. He created immersive experiences that captivated audiences and left a lasting impression.
- Unapologetically True to Himself: Church remained true to his artistic vision, never compromising his authenticity for commercial appeal. This integrity earned him the respect of both fans and fellow artists.
Ultimately, Eric Church’s rise to fame is a combination of talent, hard work, and an unwavering commitment to his artistic vision. He defied expectations, forged his own path, and connected with fans on a deeply personal level, establishing himself as one of the most influential and respected figures in country music.
How many children does Eric Church have?
Eric Church, the acclaimed American country music singer and songwriter, is a proud father of two sons: Boone McCoy Church and Tennessee Hawkins “Hawk” Church. Eric and his wife, Katherine Blasingame, welcomed their first son, Boone, on October 3, 2011.
The arrival of Boone brought immense joy to the couple, and Eric even penned a heartfelt song titled “Three Year Old” dedicated to his firstborn.
In February 2015, the Church family expanded once again with the birth of their second son, Tennessee Hawkins. Affectionately known as “Hawk,” the younger son added another layer of love and excitement to their lives. Eric has been vocal about the profound impact his sons have had on his life, often expressing his deep appreciation for the role of fatherhood.
Both Boone and Hawk have grown into remarkable young men, inheriting their father’s passion for music and his love for the outdoors. Eric cherishes the moments he shares with his sons, whether it’s strumming guitars together, exploring nature, or simply enjoying each other’s company.
Eric Church’s dedication to his family is evident in his music, where he often weaves themes of love, parenthood, and the importance of family bonds. His songs resonate deeply with fans, who recognize the genuine emotion and heartfelt sentiments he pours into his lyrics.
Eric Church’s journey as a father has been a source of inspiration and growth for him both personally and professionally. His sons have enriched his life in countless ways, and he considers them his greatest blessings. As Eric continues to navigate the path of fatherhood, he remains committed to providing his sons with unwavering love, support, and guidance.
How many albums does Eric Church have?
Eric Church has released nine studio albums as of 2023:
- Sinners Like Me (2006)
- Carolina (2009)
- Chief (2011)
- The Outsiders (2014)
- Mr. Misunderstood (2015)
- Desperate Man (2018)
- Heart & Soul (2021)
- Heart (2021)
- Soul (2021)
Why is Eric Church referred to as Chief?
Eric Church’s nickname “Chief” originates from two sources:
- Stage attire: Eric Church started wearing a hat and sunglasses on stage as a practical measure to protect his eyes from the bright lights. Fans began referring to him as “Chief” due to his resemblance to a police officer in his stage attire.
- Family connection: Interestingly, Eric Church’s maternal grandfather was also nicknamed “Chief” as he served as the chief of police in Granite Falls, North Carolina. When Eric Church adopted the nickname on stage, he unknowingly carried on a family legacy.
The combination of these two factors solidified the nickname “Chief” for Eric Church. It became a symbol of his stage presence and a reminder of his family’s history.
How long has Eric Church been with his wife?
Eric Church and his wife, Katherine Blasingame, have been married since January 8, 2008. As of today, November 12, 2023, they have been married for 15 years and 10 months.
Additional details about Eric Church’s relationship with his wife, Katherine Blasingame.
- Early days: Eric Church and Katherine Blasingame met in 2006 when she was working as a music publisher in Nashville. They quickly fell in love and began dating.
- Wedding: Eric Church and Katherine Blasingame got married on January 8, 2008, at West Glow Resort in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. The couple chose this location because it was a special place to them.
- Children: Eric Church and Katherine Blasingame have two sons: Boone McCoy Church, born October 3, 2011, and Tennessee Hawkins “Hawk” Church, born February 15, 2015.
- Private life: Eric Church and Katherine Blasingame are known for keeping their private life out of the spotlight. They rarely attend public events together and do not share much about their personal lives on social media.
- Strong bond: Despite their desire for privacy, Eric Church and Katherine Blasingame are said to have a very strong bond. They are supportive of each other’s careers and are dedicated to their family.
- Philanthropic endeavors: Eric Church and Katherine Blasingame are also very active in philanthropy. They founded the Chief Cares Fund, a charity that helps people in need.
- Mutual respect and admiration: Eric Church and Katherine Blasingame have a deep respect and admiration for each other. They are both successful in their own right, but they are also very down-to-earth and humble.
Overall, Eric Church and Katherine Blasingame seem to have a very happy and successful relationship. They are both talented and dedicated individuals who are also committed to their family and their community.
What song did Eric Church not write?
Eric Church has written or co-written the majority of his songs, but he has also recorded a few covers and songs that were written by other artists. Here are a few examples:
- “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus (2012)
Church released a live version of “Wrecking Ball” on his 2013 album “The Outsiders.”
- “Like Jesus Does” by Eric Bazilian (1998)
Church covered “Like Jesus Does” on his 2011 album “Chief.”
- “Stick That in Your Country Song” by Aaron Lewis (2010)
Church recorded “Stick That in Your Country Song” for his 2011 album “Chief.”
- “The World Needs a Drink” by Terri Clark (2004)
Church co-wrote “The World Needs a Drink” with Jeffrey Steele and Davis Naish. He released a live version of the song on his 2017 box set “61 Days in Church.”
- “Don’t Blame It On Whiskey” by Jon Pardi and Lauren Alaina (2016)
Church co-wrote “Don’t Blame It On Whiskey” with Clint Daniels and Bobby Pinson.
- “We Were” by Keith Urban (2020)
Church co-wrote “We Were” with Ryan Tyndell and Jeremy Spillman. He also sang on the song with Urban.
- “Life Off My Years” by Lee Brice (2022)
Church co-wrote “Life Off My Years” with Luke Laird and Ashley Monroe.
- “All Alright” by Zac Brown Band (2022)
Church co-wrote “All Alright” with Brandon Kinney and Ashley Monroe.
- “You, Me And The River” by Chris Janson (2022)
Church co-wrote “You, Me And The River” with Casey Beathard and Monty Criswell.
- “Quittin’ Time” by Morgan Wallen (2022)
Church co-wrote “Quittin’ Time” with Casey Beathard and Monty Criswell.
These are just a few examples of songs that Eric Church did not write. He has also written or co-written many other songs for other artists.
How many number 1 does Eric Church have?
Eric Church has eleven number-one singles on the Billboard Country Airplay chart. These are:
- “Drink in My Hand” (2011)
- “Springsteen” (2012)
- “The Only Way I Know” (2013)
- “Give Me Back My Hometown” (2014)
- “Talladega” (2014)
- “Record Year” (2016)
- “Desperate Man” (2018)
- “Some of It” (2019)
- “Heart & Soul” (2021)
- “Doing My Part” (2021)
- “Never Gonna Leave You” (2023)
Church is one of the most successful country artists of all time, and his eleven number-one singles are a testament to his talent and popularity.
Is Eric Church a country singer?
Eric Church is a country singer. He is known for his traditional country sound, as well as his blend of country, rock, and blues influences. He has released nine studio albums, all of which have charted on the Billboard 200 chart. He has also won numerous awards, including CMA Awards, ACM Awards, and Grammy Awards.
Church’s music is often characterized by its honest and personal lyrics, as well as its catchy melodies. He is also known for his energetic live performances. He has been praised for his ability to connect with his audience and create a memorable experience.
Church is one of the most popular country singers of his generation. He has a large and devoted fan base, and he is considered to be one of the most influential artists in country music.
Who is the female singer with Eric Church?
Eric Church has collaborated with several female singers throughout his career, but the most notable and frequent collaboration has been with Joanna Cotten. She served as a backup vocalist and frequent duet partner during his live performances from 2013 to 2022.
Cotten’s powerful vocals and stage presence complemented Church’s style, and they often performed duets on songs like “Drink in My Hand,” “Like Jesus Does,” and “Tell Me ‘Bout It.”
In addition to Cotten, Church has also collaborated with female singers like Ashley McBryde, Miranda Lambert, and Maren Morris. These collaborations have showcased his versatility and ability to connect with a diverse range of artists.
Here are some of the most notable female singers with whom Eric Church has collaborated:
Joanna Cotten: Back-up vocalist and frequent duet partner (2013-2022)
Ashley McBryde: Duet partner on “Tell Me ‘Bout It”
Miranda Lambert: Duet partner on “Deeper Than We Thought”
Maren Morris: Duet partner on “Make It a Slow Night”
Was Eric Church in the military?
Eric Church was not in the military. He attended Appalachian State University, where he majored in history and played college rugby. After graduating, he worked as a teacher for a short period before moving to Nashville to pursue a career in country music.
While Eric Church himself has not served in the military, he has expressed his strong support for the armed forces throughout his career. He has performed at numerous military events, including USO shows and benefit concerts. He has also dedicated songs to veterans and active-duty service members.
In 2014, Church released the song “Drink in My Hand,” which includes a lyric about raising a drink to “the boys who went off to war.” He has said that the song is about “all the people who sacrifice their lives for our freedom.”
In 2016, Church hosted the Country Music Television (CMT) Awards, which featured a tribute to veterans. He also performed the song “The Only Way I Know,” which he co-wrote with Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan. The song is about the sacrifices made by veterans and their families.
In 2018, Church released the song “Desperate Man,” which includes a lyric about “the boys who wear the uniform.” He has said that the song is about “all the people who fight for what they believe in.”
Church’s support for the military is not just limited to music. He has also been involved in several philanthropic efforts to support veterans and their families. In 2016, he founded the Chief Cares Fund, which provides financial assistance to veterans and their families. He has also donated to charities that support wounded warriors and military families.
Who is Lady singing with Eric Church?
The female singer who duets with Eric Church is Joanna Cotten. Cotten is an American country music singer and songwriter with a powerful voice and a stage presence that complements Church’s style.
She served as a backup vocalist and frequent duet partner during Church’s live performances from 2013 to 2022. Cotten’s soaring vocals and emotive delivery added a new dimension to Church’s songs and captivated audiences.
Cotten and Church collaborated on several memorable duets, including:
- “Drink in My Hand”
- “Like Jesus Does”
- “Tell Me ‘Bout It”
- “Heart on Fire”
- “Give Me Back My Hometown”
Their collaborations showcased their vocal chemistry and ability to connect deeply with the audience. Cotten’s presence on stage brought an energy and excitement that enhanced Church’s performances.
In addition to her regular duets with Church, Cotten also had her own solo moments in the spotlight, performing her original songs and showcasing her songwriting talents. She contributed to the overall experience of Church’s concerts, leaving a lasting impression on fans.
Cotten’s departure from Church’s band in 2022 marked the end of an era in country music. Their collaborations left an indelible mark on the genre, showcasing the power of vocal harmonies and the connection between artists. Cotten’s contributions to Church’s live shows and recordings will not be forgotten.
What genre is Eric Church? Eric Church is a prominent figure in the world of country music, known for his blend of traditional and contemporary elements, deeply personal songwriting, and captivating stage presence. His musical style defies easy categorization, incorporating elements of country rock, outlaw country, southern rock, and even bluesy undertones.
Church’s influences span a wide range of artists, from Hank Williams Jr. to Merle Haggard, and he has also cited his admiration for hard rock and heavy metal bands like Metallica and AC/DC. This eclectic mix of influences has shaped Church’s unique sound, which appeals to a diverse audience of country fans.